Yesterday Quinn had his 4 month drs appointment - Brian took him! All is well - he is 15lb 10oz and 26 inches long. Going down slightly in his percentiles (I though for sure he'd be 16lbs by now), but still way over average, and I'm so over that 'worrying about the weight' thing... I'm making milk much better than I was with Charli, and unlike Charli's continuous barfing, Buster hardly throws up at all. He can go days without anything coming out of his mouth but drool, and when he does throw up, it's usually like a little dribble. It's amazing. So he's eating like twice as much as Charli did.
Speaking of eating, we're about to start him on some solid foods. He's definitely ready - he's had some broth from Charli, and he's sucked on peaches and watermelon (actually he got a piece of the watermelon, and he mouthed it a while and then choked and spit it out). He sits at the dinner table and looks longingly at everyone eating. He looks so wistful, and then he starts smacking his lips... I think we'll be cooking up some applesauce soon, and there's a little place around the corner that makes fresh baby food! I'll give them a try, too.
Quinn has already had a pile of firsts, but since I haven't posted you've all been missing them. Here's a big list. :)
He had his first bottle at 3 1/2 weeks, and it was easy. We gave him a bottle every now and then, and it was no problem. Then we started a schedule, where we would feed him on bottles at night and I would pump, and I was putting away SCADS of milk! It was awesome! Then we got lazy and complacent, and started breastfeeding him again at night, and didn't give him a bottle for a long time. We gave him a bottle again just before Binka left, so maybe around 9 1/2 weeks, and he wouldn't take it. In addition, my milk production (as far as pumping goes) went way down. So we struggled with that for 3 or 4 weeks, with me bemoaning my complacency all the while, but after I went back to work he seemed to be OK with it.
He started smiling socially around 9 weeks, and now he laughs occasionally. Now he's even a little bit ticklish!
At 12 weeks, he also rolled from his back to his front for the first time. Now he can roll either way, although he's not so good at front to back.
Buster loves his toys. Around 12 weeks, he started playing with this big roll of Bugs Bunny wrapping paper that I had near his changing table. We would go to change his diaper, and he would bat at and kick the paper, not to mention stare fixedly at a particular picture of Bugs. I wonder how that's going to affect him when he's 25! So I put him in his play gym, and he really was interested in it - he could lie there for 1/2 hour, batting at the toys! I swear I could see his motor skills improving just as he was lying there! Charli was never really interested in that stuff. I would hang things on her car seat or stroller, and she just ignored them. Buster bats them and grabs them and pulls them, and now he puts them in his mouth, too.
He's also very talkative! He takes turns gurgling with you, and he looks in your eyes while you do it. Brian was just recently noting how he has always looked at your eyes rather than at your mouth, which is what most babies look at for a while (including Charli) before they figure that out. He even talked to Binka on the phone once, smiling and taking his turns in the conversation just as if she were there! It didn't work again after that, tho.
He had two teeth coming in, neither of them front teeth - the upper right canine, and the lower left canine. We could see them both on the sides of his mouth. He will look funny if those come all the way in first! I say 'had' because the upper right seems to be gone now (I couldn't find it, at any rate), and the lower left feels slightly smaller. I don't know exactly how that happens... They were bothering him worst in the evenings, but once he fell asleep for the night he was fine again for about 20 hours. :)
As I noted before, he started sleeping much longer at a time at about 17 weeks! He has been getting up 3 or 4 times a night most of the time since we've been home. About a week ago, he graduated to only getting up once a night, and occasionally none a night! Hooray! Sleep is getting so good again!
And lastly, a first for both Charli AND Buster (it's kind of sad that this is a Charli first...) - on July 4th weekend, we finally went camping! Just for one night, unfortunately, but given that it was planned Sunday July 3rd, what more can you ask? More details on this in a later post.
Charli loves Buster, and Buster loves Charli. Lately she has been reading books and singing songs to him, and whenever she's around, Buster just watches her and smiles. Last weekend, he woke up in the morning and was crying, and Charli ran in and told me "No, no, no, I'LL get him!" She climbed into the crib and soothed him a little; it didn't work immediately so she turned on his mobile; that didn't work immediately either so she went back to talking to him and distracting him and he stopped crying and started smiling at her. It was great.
I went back to work on June 20, and Nina's been taking care of Buster. It's been 4 weeks now - just about time to take a vacation, right? More about that in the next post!

4 comments:
Great to hear from you again!! Brian did the best he could, but nothing can replace a mother's posts. Glad to see all is going so well. I especially enjoyed the fact that Charli is becoming such a good mommy.
WOW--the blog was great!! Thank you so much, Korin. SOOOO happy to hear that everyone is doing so well. All is well here--except for the weather. We are in a full-fledged heatwave--thank goodness for air-conditioning. Hugs to all, Bienbaw
Love the post, especially that last picture! So glad things are going well!
good to see you back blogging, korin! had dinner with your mom and dad last Friday and she showed us more pics of the kids, as well as their new rig!
Post a Comment