Sunday, June 15, 2008

happy father's day

Who got to sleep in on Father's Day? That's right! Mom!

We had a lovely father's day. Everyone called to say nice things to Brian, and they were well deserved. He's a terrific dad!

First we tried to go to Stacks for breakfast, but we got there around 9:45 and the line looked pretty long, so we decided to skip it. Then we thought we'd try Modern Tea, but turns out they don't open until 10:30. Finally Brian thought of Le Zinc (open 9 or 9:30, never a line, and lovely breakfast - I don't know why we don't just go there every weekend), and we drove over there instead, got rock star parking, and had a great breakfast. Charli and Mambaw spilled water all over Brian - it was a chilly father's day surprise! They just wanted to make sure he didn't fall asleep.

After that we bought Charli another big bottle (orange!), and then we came home and puttered around and watched Tiger Woods play golf on tv, when we weren't watching Charli do cute things. I gave Brian a diaper vest (brilliant!), so I wouldn't have to get up early and cook him breakfast in bed (and because I love gear). Charli wasn't napping very well, so I took her on a walk to the store for some roasting veggies (and maybe some ice cream). She slept the whole time and then she was much happier and we could all watch her be cute again.

For dinner, Brian roasted a fantastic chicken (citrus brine - yes, we're trying new brines, aren't you impressed?), and we had a terrific dinner of roast chicken and vegetables and salad. It was fabulous! For dessert, we had the rest of the chocolate cake, and Bi-rite creamery mint chocolate chip ice cream AND coffee toffee ice cream (having personally determined yesterday that one pint of ice cream was insufficient). Two great homecooked dinners in one weekend... That might be a record for us.

Here is a priceless father's day trick that we were very fortunate to get on video. You will like it. :)

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Great blogs, Korin!! It brings back the great weekend. Thanks for everything. This might have been my best ever trip to San Francisco; even counting the wedding and the Raiders game with the Kelly surprise.

What the hell (OK get out the cuss jar), they are all great. For those of you who don't know there is a cuss jar into which you must contirbute to Charli's college fund if you forget and cuss. I got a free weekend because I was just getting used to the idea; plus I been sick. From now on, though, I will probably be a big contributer.

atet said...

Happy 1st father's day for Brian and a very happy 1st anniversary to both of you! (um, yeah, stability of your relationship? I don't think anyone was questioning that one) Hugs from the cornfields!